Friday, September 4, 2015

Done!

What does it take to get me motivated? A deadline, I guess! Quilt show for the guild I am in is coming up quickly and I decided I would put this quilt in the show. A friend let me quilt it on her long arm. She is teaching me, but I think I am a slow learner! I'm getting the hang of it though :) and I am super proud that I finished it completely myself. It seemed so much bigger when I was putting it all together, but it measures about 57X67, I believe. It will shrink some after I wash it. 
I have grown to love this little quilt! 
I often use 10 inch squares of leftover or random or I buy special fabrics to piece the backs of my quilts. Sometimes I have extra squares from my backing and I keep them all together. I was super pleased to have enough extras to piece the back of this quilt. It is like a scrap book filled with memories, because I remember each quilt that I made using each square on the back. 
And here is one with my sweet cat, Tangerine! She is a good cat and walked very carefully around my quilt but did not get on it. I am sure if I had left it out there for very long she would have gotten comfy! 
So, recently someone asked me "how long does it take you to make a quilt?" I actually get asked this question a lot! This time I answered "2 years" and they looked at me like I was crazy! Haha, but Truth is, that seems to be my going rate. I believe I started this quilt almost 2 years ago. I should have been able to finish it in 2 weeks to a month, but obviously I work on way too many things at once. I will note that it took me 5 hours to quilt it on a long arm, and that was probably the part of this quilt I spent the shortest amount of time on! Except maybe the backing, only because all of my squares were already cut out. I am so happy to have this finished! It feels good :)
Now I need to finish my challenge piece for the quilt show...time is ticking!






1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this colorful, scrappy quilt! I can't wait to see it hanging in the quilt show : )

    ReplyDelete