Friday, February 27, 2015

The End of February 2015

This month flew by, which is unusual for February. Even though it is the shortest month of the year it always feels the longest, usually. Not this year though...

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but I still accomplished a few things.

The local guild I am in does a mystery quilt each year. I didn't participate last year and I regretted that. This year I am on top of it (ok, truth be told I finished my step one the day before our meeting, but at least I was on time! and then our meeting was cancelled due to weather anyway. I could have procrastinated even longer! haha!) I waited so late in the month to start it because I couldn't make up my mind what colors I wanted to use or if I wanted to go scrappy. I finally decided on "controlled scrappy". I plan to use cream/white/neutrals, light/lime greens, purples, and blacks. I hope it will look good. I love mysteries, but sometimes I struggle with picking colors. For this mystery our color guidelines were light, medium light, medium dark, and dark, no actual color suggestions. So I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do. I can't wait to get and make step 2 now that I have picked my colors. I also loved how simple step one was. 12 four patches and I love that they are DONE. :) 

In honor of Valentine's Day I made a little quilt top. This is Love Notes found in the Block magazine by Missouri Star Quilt Company. I used the magazine pattern. But here is a link to Missouri Star Quilt's video tutorial, which is free. There is quite a bit of pink in this top and this was made from a charm pack I had laying around so I count this for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge for this week :) You can check out what other pink creations are being made here.

Right now it measures 39 inches X 50 inches. If I make this again I definitely want to remember to press my seams open. I don't think it said to in the pattern or if it did I overlooked it, because I hate pressing seams open...but this is one pattern that really would have worked better with open seams. Some of the seams are very thick. I will have to think about how I want to quilt it. Maybe a meander that I can work around the thick seams? This quilt top did work up quickly and I think it is very pretty. I am not much on borders. In fact I hate borders, but I do think the red floral print I used really helped to brighten this quilt top up, so I am glad I put the borders on. And guess what? I had all of this fabric in my stash, so yea for getting some fabric off my shelf! I have even cut the backing and the binding, so the entire little quilt will be made from stash. That's a good feeling! I'm linking up with Michelle's Romantic Tangle: Let's Make Baby Quilts!
 
We got snow yesterday so my husband and daughter built a snowman. Isn't he cute?

Happy Last Day of February Eve!! 
 
Update on New Year's Resolutions:
 
*I am soda free since Jan 1. Not even one sip. GO ME! I still crave Mountain Dew. Not every day, but lots of days.
 
*Regarding my fabric resolution: Last month I bought pink and leopard print fabric for a commissioned quilt. The quilt was made and delivered and the new little baby has been using it. I received the cutest picture proving it! I love getting pictures of my quilts in use. It really makes my heart smile! This month I bought 4 yards of yellow flannel. Here's why: a lady has organized a group, Amelia's Angels,  to help our local hospital provide memory boxes, blankets, outfits for angel babies and their families. For babies who leave this Earth before they are born, or shortly after, or born way too early to survive. I am going to make some yellow receiving blankets to contribute. So I think my purchase is justified, don't you? Now I have to make the blankets. I worked an extra night last week, and my girls were home for the last two weeks due to weather, so I haven't had much sewing time. My daughters' both know how to sew and make quilts and have been making quilts as long as I have been, since 2009. They usually make one quilt in the summer time. During the school year they have nothing to do with sewing. So I know that we have way too many weather days off of school when my youngest decides to spend a day working on a quilt she started last year. It is a massive queen sized quilt so it is taking some time. It is an easy pattern though, just big. She is hoping to finish it this summer. I am hoping the first week in March will be a fabulous sewing week for me!
 




18 comments:

  1. Love your sweet pink baby quilt. Better yet, it came from stash.
    Good plan for this year's mystery quilt. I enjoyed last year's mystery.
    Very handsome snowman. Cool glasses.
    You must tell me more about Amelie's Angel at Tuesdays meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool snowman but he is dreaming of sunny days ahead. Yellow for March might just fit the bill. I love mystery quilts but hate picking the fabric for them. On more than one occasion I have made a selection and the fabrics looked great together but not how they were laid out in the quilt. Sigh! Lots of unpicking to make it work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am nervous about my color choices for the mystery, but I think even if it doesn't turn out like I want I can always donate it or find someone who could use it! I'm looking forward to yellow!!!

      Delete
  3. You got so much done in a short month! Love the envelopes. That snowman is way too cute. Hope he won't be sticking around for much longer though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping for sunshine and warm weather too!

      Delete
  4. The envelope quilt is so cute. What a great project Amelia's Angels. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to being able to contribute to Amelia's Angels!

      Delete
  5. Looks like you got a lot done for a short month! I too - understand procrastinating lol. And congrats on the no soda - that is quite a feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Being soda free is getting easier!

      Delete
  6. Very pretty Valentine's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the straw hat on your snowman! Kudos on the cute little envelope quilt too. Sounds like you're doing very well with your new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to find a lei for him, but couldn't locate one!

      Delete
  8. Awesome snowguy! and very pretty valentines quilt, and I agree the red border is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your pink envelopes quilt! What a happy snowman! We have tons of snow here in Ohio, but it's not the fun, snowman-packing stuff. It's the negative temp stuff that is pretty but super cold. Maybe next week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly send our snow your way! I don't like snow at all. However this snow was the best for building snowmen that we've had in a long time! I am ready for spring and sunshine and warm weather now!

      Delete